Poached Pears with Orange Shortbread
& Almond Custard
The kitchen team have been making the most of the sunny weather… using the amazing produce from Fareshare, they have made a gorgeous dessert to brighten up your day!
Want to have a go at making your own? The full recipe is below…
- 4 Pears (peeled, 1/4 and core cut out)
- 1/2 Pint Water
- 1/2 Stick of Cinnamon
- 1 Star Anise
- Zest of 1/2 an Orange
- Juice from 1/2 an Orange
- 150g Sugar
- Zest and juice from 1/2 an Orange
- 75g Plain Flour
- 50g Salted Butter (softened)
- 25g Caster Sugar
- Sugar for sprinkling
- 125ml Milk
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 25g Ground Almonds
- 3 drops Vanilla Essence
For the Pears:
- Add all ingredients together
- Simmer gently until the pears are soft
- Let cool in the liquid
For the Shortbread:
- Heat oven to 150C
- Rub butter & flour together until breadcrumb consistency
- Add orange and sugar, gently knead until a dough is formed
- Lightly flour work surface and roll out dough to 1/2cm thickness. Flute the edges using your fingers.
- Bake for 20-25mins.
- When cooked, sprinkle with sugar and cut into quarters.
For the Custard:
- Warm milk
- Whisk egg yolks, vanilla & almonds in a bowl until pale in colour.
- Heat over water until ribbons appear (slightly thickens), add 1/2 milk and continue stirring.
- Place in milk pan with rest of milk and heat gently until thickens.